30 Day Knitting Challenge Day 29: Do you have any tips, or things that you’ve learned from knitting?
I have lots and lots of tips, but most of them pertain to specific situations or problems. For example, to cable without a cable needle, it helps to hold your knitting below the live row so you’re not pulling out stitches while you’re manipulating the needles. I have a whole board on Pinterest for knitting tips. But then I do have some other general proclamations …
- Have patience with yourself and what your hands will do. Knitting is mostly muscle memory and it takes time to train your muscles to do different things.
- If there’s something that’s bothering you about your knitting and you’re not sure whether or not to tink back or rip it out, go ahead and tink or rip – if it bothers you now, it’ll still bother you when the piece is finished.
- Buy the best yarn and supplies that you can afford.
- Learning how to do magic loop with circular needles will save you from having to buy circulars in multiple sizes – just get the longest set you can.
- Connect with other knitters in person or online; you’ll learn new things and get to see what other people are working on, which can be really inspiring.
And probably more – I’m always open to questions and helping other people, even if it’s tracking down an answer from someone else or commiserating.